Re: Not just MS can't do Calc, apple too is bad at it

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 09 February 2007 16:02 \__

>> As a side note, I suspect that KDE is the only environment (or Linux, to
>> generalise) which can handle multiple locales in a single session.
>
> Gnome too: gnome-keyboard-properties
>
> Ich kann in die deutschen oder französischen Buchstaben in einem Fenster
> schreiben entweder, ou même indiquez les différents caractères pour
> différentes fenêtres.
>
> ???? ????? 100 ???? ???????? ????????? ??-??????? ?????. El Gnomo es un
> sistema mucho flexible.

That's what I suspected. Language support in Linux seems superior to that of
Windows XP, but it depends _a lot_ on what distribution one uses. Either
way, it's the following image I had in mind:

http://www.kde.org/screenshots/images/3.5/34-languages.png

I took a moment to think about how open source brings minds together to bring
lingual advantages. There was a time when someone from China reported a
WordPress bug in the mailing lists. I was able to reproduce it and created a
bug report. Then, a guy from Finland wrote a patch, which made it into the
trunk. Without this internationaled teamwork, where one guy can tell apart
Asian languages, the bugs would have reached millions of Web sites. So
there's the power of having the code visible to many people around the
world... people with different and complementary skills.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
roy      pts/4                         Fri Feb  9 08:54 - 08:55  (00:00)