Re: [News] New 2,152-processor Machine Runs Linux

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 09 February 2007 07:01 \__

>> High-performance Linux cluster in operation in Chemnitz
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Lustre, an Open Source development, serves as the cluster file
>> | system. The CHiC runs on Scientific Linux 4.3, which was ported
>> | from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84975
>
> Nice. I wonder if they'd let me rent it for a couple of days to finish a
> video transcoding project. :)
>
> Two episodes of X-Files down, one hundred and eight to go.

I have hundreds of nodes available over here, but it's a no-no to use them at
daytime. Also, there's a limit on disk space, which makes a lot of things
impractical.

That type of technology enables you to run an experiment overnight, rather
than spend months connecting, running and then piecing together separate
runtimes. Linux has helped me a lot in the past few years and perhaps I'm
lucky that other people don't take advantage of it. It leaves the whole
capacity of the workstations available for the very few who are able to use
them.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie