Re: Russian schools won't buy commercial software ..

  • Subject: Re: Russian schools won't buy commercial software ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 06:20:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rafael ] on Friday 09 February 2007 03:45 \__

> peterwn wrote:
>> Doug Mentohl <doug_ment...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> "Schools in the Perm region will soon quit buying software from
>>> commercial companies"
>>>
>>> "According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely
>>> distributed software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open
>>> office desktop apps"
>>>
>>> http://www.mosnews.com/news/2007/02/07/linuxschool.shtml
>>
>> I think the problem is that the school system refused to buy a
>> Microsoft flat rate omnibus licence for its schools as Microsoft has
>> sold to other school systems (very rough rule of thumb - $1 per head
>> of population in region or state).  These licences benefit schools
>> as they are effectively immune from audits and benefit MS as there is
>> little incentive for schools to use something else.
>>
>> I suspect the principal was 'busted' after some tip-off etc
>> instigated by Microsoft - this being an expedient way of trying to
>> coerce the school system into buying a Microsoft ominbus licence by
>> aiming at a vulnerable point.
>>
>> The whole lot now seems to be blowing up in Bill's face.
>>
>> Once again this shows that Microdoft is very strong on the rule of
>> law when it suits Microsoft, but Microsoft thumbs its nose at laws
>> which do not suit Microsoft.
>>
>> If the teachers are not au fait with Linux, they can soon learn from
>> the kids.
>
> Similar article was in:
>
> http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/02/05/234178
>
> Article states,
>
>> Mr. Ponosov denies accusations, saying that the computer equipment
>> was delivered on demand of the Perm region?s Capital Construction
>> Administration. The Federal Agency for Print and Mass-Media announced
>> it would compensate the damage from extra-budgetary funds, if
>> Microsoft had any material claims to Mr. Ponosov.
>>
>> Russian President Vladimir Putin stood up for principal accused of
>> piracy, saying that to judge someone for buying computers is complete
>> nonsense. He also said that not the consumers should be accused of
>> using illegal software but the distributors.
>
> IMHO, key point is to let the legal system run its course.
>
> It also is another win for Linux.  I am glad to see that Russia is
> making strides in implementing Linux.  I doubt seriously that Russia
> will give into Microsoft's claim of linux software patent violations,
> especially after this incident.
>
> Don't you agree, comrades?

I doubt it. Russia has been hoping to adopt Linux for quite some time. It
just needed a catalyst/excuse, which is has just received/welcomed in an
unpleasant way. It's a shame that some consider it a 'consolation prize',
but it's a matter of habits. No longer will they have to cope with
activation, viruses, and dependecy on a foreign company. Some students
probably graduated only to find themselves tied to proprietary software.

Linux and Windows in Russian schools

,----[ Quote ]
| I just noticed this blog entry (in Russian) from an advanced Linux
| user, where he offers free help to every teacher (or their boss)
| who'd like to start teaching Linux, and gives a few links to
| other such projects, such as "The winter Linux school for teachers"
| (in Russian) organized by ALTLinux together with a few other
| institutions. A few other projects do exist. Hopefully, such
| projects, together with the "antipiracy" campaign will lead to
| more Linux and open source in Russian schools.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/070130-080943.html

Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

,----[ Quote ]
| Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
| solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
| companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
| are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
`----

http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/russian-government-will-migrate-to.html

Gates: Russia Tackling Software Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061107/russia_bill_gates.html?.v=2

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz
Cpu(s):  22.8% user,   2.8% system,   0.7% nice,  73.7% idle