Re: [News] The Dark Future of Prorietary Software

Jerry McBride wrote:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Proprietary software will kill PC in 30 years, conference told

,----[ Quote ]
| If proprietary software continues to dominate, within 10 years no one
| will be able to store any file and even view their own content without
| first paying a service provider to see it and the PC as we know it will
| be gone within 30 years.
`----

http://m-net.net.nz/latest-news/1405/proprietary-software-will-kill-pc-in-30-years-conference-told/1/read.php

30 years? I think it will be more like 4 years or less. If we don't start
doing some SERIOUS DRM, TPM, TC, etc killing... we'll be tied to big
brother a lot sooner than most people think.

Hmmm...thinking back 30 years...1977...home computers didn't really exist. The explosion probably came in 1980-82. Then there were lots of home computers (micros: Sinclairs (Timexs), Acorns, Commodores, Ataris, Tandys, etc) and "business" machines (ACT Sirius, IBM PC, others?). What's it like now; or even around 2000 (20 years) - home computers and business machines are all PCs or Macs; the home computers are we knew them are gone (except in "cult status", "geek" hobby only form).