Re: [News] Disney Dumps Microsoft Office?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 08 February 2007 17:50 \__

> Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a
>> moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>>
>>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 08 February 2007 14:34 \__

>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2160431/microsoft-warns-google-business
>>>

>> My, my, is that a threat, Mr. Gates?

"food off our plate..."

Hmmm... sounds like Mr. Baller actually.

>> I don't care who he is. If I want to enter a market, I damn well will.
>
> Quite right too.  Besides, as Microsoft have proven unable to get
> anything to work in terms of web searching, I can't really see them
> being successful in a corporate environment.

And they know it. Microsoft managed to expand from something that was a niche
at the time (computer on every desk, before the age of ubiquitous
computing). Google can strike from the Web and approach the desktop. Did
Google have desktop applications 3 years ago? When did GMail first appear
and then continued its double/triple-digit inter-annum growth? Microsoft
could go the Google way almost a decade ago, but it chose to stick to the
cash cow and leave society in a dark age (or middle ages) of computing.

Google's Bosworth: Why AJAX Failed (Then Succeeded)

,----[ Quote ]
| "Back in '96-'97, me and a group of people,many of whom are here at
| Google, helped build stuff that these days is called AJAX," We
| concluded, in the face of unyielding opposition and animosity from
| virtually every senior person at Microsoft, that the thick client
| was on its way out and it was going to be replaced by browser-based apps.

This comes from a guy who moved from Microsoft to Google, in order to bring
previously-suppressed (forbidden?) innovation.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/1                         Thu Feb  8 16:27   still logged in