Re: Well, after 29 reboots...

Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?
>>
>> | # Vista is not ready for primetime. By that I mean that Vista still
>> | feels like a beta. That's right. It has so many compatibility
>> | problems with existing applications that running anything other
>> | than stuff from Microsoft that specifically says "for Vista Build
>> | XXXX" makes me feel like I'm taking my life into my own hands.
>> |
>> |    1. Games - don't even get me started...
>> |    2. Visual Studio 2005 - I can't find the words to express the irony...
>> |    3. Virtual PC - worthless. Don't even attempt on Vista.
>> `----
>
> It's not good when a company can't even choke down its own dog food.
>
>> Windows Vista: More Work in Progress
>> Vista: Behind the scenes
>> Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'
>> Vista Breaks Applications
>> Lack of Internal Talks at Microsoft, Google
>> Vista Issues Bedevil Firefox

And not only all of this awfulness, but check it:

Every last one of the CIFS-aware network appliances that I use both
at home and at the office, which amounts to about 11 hunks of hardware
totalling about 4 terabytes cannot, and WILL not connect to Vista.

Why?

Because they do not understand what the LLTD protocol is, which Vista
requires to be recognized by the target device.  It's easy enough to download
a patch for XP machines to solve this problem from microsoft, so that you can
share between XP and Vista...but network storage devices?  Nope.

Also, for those of you using Netapps (I know I know, not around here you're
not), NA won't be coming out with an LLTD module for at least a few weeks,
so don't upgrade shit until you get it and you know it works.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net