[News] Wii Sold 4.2 Millions Times?

The REAL Next Gen Wars!

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget all the imitators, there is only one place on the internet
| where you'll find the latest, most accurate sales figures for
| the next gen consoles, right here on VGCharts.org...
`----

http://www.vgcharts.org/?wii

There's quite a bit of Linux stuff going on with the Wii (see below).

Related:

Wii wins round one of console war

,----[ Quote ]
| Nintendo of Europe has announced that 10 million DS units have now
| been sold across the continent, making it the fastest and
| best-selling handheld in history.
|
| Gamesindustry.biz reports that the successful launch of the Wii
| and the continued strong performance of the DS has allowed Nintendo
| to gain a 43 per cent rise in profits for the nine months ending
| December 31 2006.

Nintendo sales and profits surge on Wii, DS Lite

,----[ Quote ]
| The company sold 3.2 million Wii consoles in November and December
| this year together with 17.5 million pieces of software, it said Thursday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070125/tc_infoworld/85429

Linux Live CD is in development for the Wii

,----[ Quote ]
| WiiLi will be based off MandrivaONE, you can expect it to look like this...
`----

http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/linux-live-cd-is-in-development-for-the-wii/

mythwii

,----[ Quote ]
| An interface to MythTV optimised for viewing from Nintendo's Wii.
`----

http://code.google.com/p/mythwii/

Nintendo Wii steals the Christmas show

,----[ Quote ]
| The No3 player in the games world has beaten its rivals with its
| must-have console, says Paul Durman
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8209-2517214,00.html

Nintendo Owns The New Generation

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, Sony benefited from substantial sales of its
| six-year-old PlayStation 2 console. Sales of the system
| trumped all three new consoles, selling 664,000 units
| during November.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/08/sony-nintendo-microsoft-markets-equity-cx_mk_1208markets03.html?partner=yahootix

Seventh Generation Gaming Consoles: Thinking Outside the Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Right now, it's still early days but, if history is any guide, we
| can expect this new video learning business to be Nintendo's to
| lead and Microsoft's to follow.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061211/22075_id.html?.v=1

Nintendo Wii launch breaks UK record

,----[ Quote ]
| Nintendo has sold more than 105,000 Wiis in the UK since the games
| console went on sale over here first thing last Friday morning.
| According to the videogames pioneer, punters took possession of
| 50,000 Wiis during the first 12 hours it was available.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/12/wii_uk_sales_record/

Wii Media Center X

,----[ Quote ]
| Wii Media Center X is a free multimedia server developed by Red
| Kawa. It allows you to stream certain types of pictures, music,
| videos and files from your computer (where the server running) to
| your Nintendo Wii. It runs on most major operating systems
| including Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
`----

http://www.redkawa.com/mediacenters/wiimediacenterx/

Bill Gates: Nintendo is Our Toughest Competition

,----[ Quote ]
| "The strength of Nintendo on the portable space has been very
| impressive and surprised a lot of people; and the strength of the
| Wii; and we see Nintendo as the toughest competition," said Gates.
|
| Gates? statements are not a surprise considering the tremendous
| sales both the Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii have enjoyed since
| they went on sale.
`----

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12549/Bill-Gates-Nintendo-is-Our-Toughest-Competition/

Torcs using a Wiimote as wheel

,----[ Quote ]
| By patching latest WMD with the patch pigeon made for Fligthgear,
| the Wiimote can be used as a classical joystick in Linux (using a
| /dev/js0 device).
`----

http://www.blino.org/blog/mandriva/wiimote-torcs.html

WiiMote with WDM / Ubuntu / Beryl / Candles

,----[ Quote ]
| Quick demo showing WiiMote running on Edgy with the WDM driver
| controlling the desktop cube.
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqduQfm09c

Rotating the compiz cube using a Wiimote

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, David has brought his Wiimote at Mandriva office so that we
| make some experiments with the Wiimote linux drivers. I've started
| with WMD, which is a python program that can generate input events
| based on the info sent by the Wiimote (on Bluetooth).
`----

http://blino.org/blog/mandriva/wiimote-compiz.html

Christmas Wii-remote xmms hack

,----[ Quote ]
| Well I got this nice christmas present a Wii remote!
|
| But I don't own a Wii console. So I hacked away in edubuntu linux
| and got it to control my xmms mp3 player.
`----

http://walter.schreppers.com/

FlightGear + Wiimote

,----[ Quote ]
| With thanks to WMD, you could use the Wiimote under Linux fairly easily.
| For those who don't know Wiimote talks to the Wii console via bluetooth.
| So it works with any computer with bluetooth as well.
`----

http://pigeond.net/?cat=flightgear&comments=fg-wiimote

Wii DVD Tool - Firmware read/write

,----[ Quote ]