Re: [News] Microsoft Strategy: Copy from Rival, Then Patent Copycat, Then Threaten Rival

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Strategy: Copy from Rival, Then Patent Copycat, Then Threaten Rival
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 04:24:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 05 February 2007 18:50 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Microsoft patents BlueJ
>>
>> ,----[ Gist ]
>>| * Feature copying
>>| * Fear of Microsoft
>>| * Microsoft's Patent Claim
>>| * Ethics
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.bluej.org/mrt/?p=21
>>
>> Microsoft has patented the double click, among many other thing. It's
>> nothing but an arsenal of FUD.
>>

> That was certainly one of the more outrageous patent claims which I've
> ever seen.  How on earth could it even be possible to do so?  Only a
> truly broken patent office would consider such a claim for more than a
> short moment.

I can't think of a simple way of grabbing the reference (e.g. unique
keyword), but the way the patent office in America operates is rather scary.
They get monetary incentives to approve applications, whatever they may be.
Thus, rarely do these applications get rejected. That's how you get
Microsoft patenting some smilies and Amazon patenting one-click shopping,
whatever that may be. Also, recommendations based on history, the
double-click... the list is filled with mind-boggling stuff... only in
America, eh? Let's just hope that this whole "solidarity" people talk about
won't poison Europe. Solidarity is one thing. Cash incestives (bribery,
kickbacks) is another.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  4:20am  up 14 days  4:38,  8 users,  load average: 0.77, 0.66, 0.69