Re: Blackboard's patent pledge ..

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 05 February 2007 19:03 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Sunday 04 February 2007 16:34 \__
>>
>>> "Blackboard hereby commits not to assert any of the U.S. patents listed
>>> below .. to the extent that such Open Source Software and Home-Grown
>>> Systems are not Bundled with proprietary software"
>>>
>>> "Microsoft has given Blackboard $10-million in venture capital and has
>>> stationed Microsoft employees within Blackboard to help with product
>>> development"
>>>
>>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070202101359621
>>
>> Someone else in this newsgroup found some more Blackboard/Microsoft links
>> in the past. All these FUD generators are in cahoot.
>>

> I'm not sure I even comprehend exactly what it is they're promising that
> they won't do.
>
> How about I promise not to do something, say, watch Coronation Street
> ever?

Look how they make a press release for self-glorification out of it. Also
recall Microsoft's assertion... that where Web-based patents or something
got mentioned in the context of Open Source.

1. Threaten
2. Throw away threat
3. Issue press releases about the so-called 'niceties'
4. ...
5. PR Profit!

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?
  4:05am  up 14 days  4:23,  8 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.49, 0.60