Re: "UPGRADE" to M$ Vista and "downgrade" your Media Playback Experience!

__/ [ rapskat ] on Sunday 04 February 2007 17:28 \__

> Yes, my friends, you have read correctly.  The latest, greatest shiny new
> offering from Redmond, WA - long touted, much awaited, and riduculously
> hyped - *deliberately* disables and/or downgrades the media playback
> capabilities of the high quality output media components in your
> computer!!!
>
> Read here for an in-depth, detailed article on these "features" of M$'
> newest platform...
>
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/%7Epgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
>
> So, if your computer has HQ/HD audio or video output capabilities and
> you're running Vista, then your system will be intentionally crippled wrt
> playback.  Unbelievable!  People actually pay money for this?  What's
> next, cars that can go 150mph but are intentionally hindered by the
> manufacturer to not exceed 65mph?!?
>
> Needless to say, no distro of LGX deliberately cripples your system like
> this.  Geez, there's no need to advocate Linux over Windows anymore, all
> you have to do is tell people the whole truth and let them sort it out for
> themselves!

Adding insult to injury, "quality content" (i.e. content that requires
special hardware and then expires) may be the only way to go. Many people
report sound card issue (device drivers bugs [3]) and, leaveing best to
last, there's no music [1,2]. And that's just music/media (in isolation).

[1] MSN Music UK does not play on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I cannot play MSN Music UK's music files on Vista - I've over 150
| tracks that I purchased - and it doesn't work.
`----

http://badgerguy.livejournal.com/179419.html

[2] Vista and iTunes Don't Play Nice Together

,----[ Quote ]
| Various folks are reporting that you cannot authorize iTunes
| (for WIndows) on Vista to play things purchased from the iTunes Store.
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/01/vista-and-itunes-dont-play-nice-together/

[3] Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: does exactly what it says on the tin
  6:05pm  up 12 days 18:23,  8 users,  load average: 0.96, 0.90, 0.58