Re: More on Vista pricing in UK

  • Subject: Re: More on Vista pricing in UK
  • From: "Dean G." <dguttadauro@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 5 Feb 2007 08:34:47 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Feb 5, 9:29 am, Gordon <gbpli...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I received this just now:
> Hello Mr  Burgessparker,
>
> Many thanks for contacting Microsoft regarding the difference in
> recommended retail prices between the UK and the US.
>
> I was sorry to hear that you were not happy with the cost of the
> purchase price of product here in the UK, in comparison with the cost in
> the US.
>
> The pricing model was developed using careful evaluation of the required
> infrastructure

The required infrastructure is a DVD copier and packaging for the
retail versions, and even less for the OEM versions.

>, associated costs

Bill G's $130 million house, large bonuses and stock options for MS
executives, and of course the hundreds of millions of dollars in waste
as MS had to throw out 2 years of coding and start over due to
security issues that they still have not resolved with the final
version. Yes, you the customer are paying for this. I'd be happier
paying a company that didn't overcharge me because of their consistent
screw-ups.

> and industry standard pricing models.

MS says they are the standard, and when talking about their clientel,
they say they are going to "hit them harder". Now be a good MS fanboy
and fork the dough so bilge, I mean billg can buy a bigger yacht than
Larry.

> Purchase prices are consistent and fair within geographic bands and
> calculated using GDP (Gross Domestic Product) per capita.

(Figures in US dollars:)
USA : GDP per capita = $41,600
UK : GDP per capita = $36,760

The price of Windows Vista in the UK is significantly higher than in
the USA....

> I hope this helps you understand the pricing structure.

No, of course it doesn't. What kind of fools do you take us for ?
Instead of answering the question, you have given us a response that
leads us in exactly the opposite dirrection, making our questions more
poignant.

> Kind Regards,
>
> Clint McCarthy
>
> Response Management Team UK

My, my, I see that some of the price for Vista is spent on a "Response
Management Team" for just the UK. Apparently MS has given up all
pretenses of supplying decent software, and now spends their money on
marketing and "response management", which seems a shallow euphemism
for FUD and lobbying. Hey, I have a new idea : software companies
should spend their money making decent software instead of lobbying
governments. MS has a different idea, apparently.

Dean G.