Re: More on Vista pricing in UK

__/ [ Gordon ] on Monday 05 February 2007 14:29 \__

> I received this just now:
> Hello Mr  Burgessparker,
>

> Many thanks for contacting Microsoft regarding the difference in
> recommended retail prices between the UK and the US.
>

> I was sorry to hear that you were not happy with the cost of the
> purchase price of product here in the UK, in comparison with the cost in
> the US.
>

> The pricing model was developed using careful evaluation of the required
> infrastructure, associated costs and industry standard pricing models.
> Purchase prices are consistent and fair within geographic bands and
> calculated using GDP (Gross Domestic Product) per capita.
>

> I hope this helps you understand the pricing structure.
>

> Kind Regards,
>
> Clint McCarthy
>
> Response Management Team UK
>
> Microsoft Ltd
>
> Can anyone tell me WHAT, precisely, has GDP per capita got to do with
> product pricing? I have NEVER, when employed as a Group Management
> Accountant, been in ANY organisation that factors in GDP as part of it's
> pricing structure.
>
> SNAKEOIL!

Maybe by GDP they means gross domestic payoff. It's quite gross. It benefits
the domestic market (America). It's also pays off because the users are
locked in anyway... why not just rip them off? I'd be angry if I was buying
some Microsoft product. That said, places where I work pay Microsoft money,
so I don't expect wages and employment figures to get any better. I'm sure
Redmond is lighting a candle and poppin' a nice bottle of champagne though.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
Swap:  1036184k total,   543912k used,   492272k free,    49408k cached