Re: [News] Vista Encryption Doesn't Quite Work

  • Subject: Re: [News] Vista Encryption Doesn't Quite Work
  • From: "visit http://colatrolls.blogspot.com" <colatrolls@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 15:48:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:00:12 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Vista encryption 'no threat' to computer forensics
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "We're seeing the same concerns with Vista as we saw with XP over
> | the idea that built-in encryption features might frustrate law
> | enforcement efforts. In practice XP has not proved to be a problem
> | for computer forensics and we don't think Vista will be either,"
> | said Bill Thompson, director of professional development and
> | training at Guidance Software.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/02/computer_forensics_vista/
>
> This is terrible. How long before an expert (or a law enforcer) is
> bribed to unlock the data from one business, which serves another to
> whom intelligence is worth the effort/risk? It beats the purpose of
> encyption, which is there to secure data, not indefinitely.

It is appalling if MS use their own hidden encryption algorithm as it
implies, and the quote seems to support it, that their encryption is
not secure. Any encryption algorithm worth its salt is made publicly
available. There are many publicly available encryption algorithms
that are, at this moment in time, known to be secure.

If it is proven that Microsoft's encryption is not secure then they
should have their ass sued off them. I'm glad I use pgp with idea.
When Bill Gates manages to factor prime numbers I'll get worried. LOL