[News] Vista Encryption Doesn't Quite Work

Vista encryption 'no threat' to computer forensics

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're seeing the same concerns with Vista as we saw with XP over the
| idea that built-in encryption features might frustrate law
| enforcement efforts. In practice XP has not proved to be a problem
| for computer forensics and we don't think Vista will be either,"
| said Bill Thompson, director of professional development and
| training at Guidance Software.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/02/computer_forensics_vista/

This is terrible. How long before an expert (or a law enforcer) is bribed to
unlock the data from one business, which serves another to whom intelligence
is worth the effort/risk? It beats the purpose of encyption, which is there
to secure data, not indefinitely.

Related:

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

How NSA access was built into Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that
| special access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency
| have been secretly built into Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| The first discovery of the new NSA access system was made two years
| ago by British researcher Dr Nicko van Someren. But it was only a
| few weeks ago when a second researcher rediscovered the access
| system. With it, he found the evidence linking it to NSA.
`----

http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/5/5263/1.html

Data Protection Commissioner criticizes search of private PCs online

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the case of a search via the Internet a police officer covertly,
| without the person knowing about it, accesses a person's computer."
| During such an operation he or she might copy data and obtain all
| kinds of personal documents; the police officer was acting as a "state
| hacker," so to speak. Mr. Schaar observed. "Such an approach is in
| conflict with the legal obligation to protect the core of
| individuals' privacy," Mr. Schaar stated emphatically.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82529/from/rss09

Could Hollywood hack your PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| Congress is about to consider an entertainment industry proposal
| that would authorize copyright holders to disable PCs used for
| illicit file trading.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945923.html

NSA Builds Security Access Into Windows