[News] Spin Doctors Hide Windows Vista Sound Problems

Vista and music still chums
PR spin starts FUD about FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| Buried deep in the bumf for Microsoft's new Vista release is a line that
| says it handles sound very differently. This kind of jolly PR spin is
| enough to chill the blood of those who rely on Windows running their
| audio production software reliably.
|
| [...]
|
| In fact, there has been remarkably little FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and
| Despair) associated with the announcement of this "radical new
| operating system" in the music/audio production world. Maybe it's
| just that the differences in Vista are more cosmetic than a redesign
| of the core of the OS.
|
| Perhaps, in the same way that Windows 98 was simply a version of 95
| that actually worked, Vista is just a version of XP that has a
| functioning set of corporate computing paraphernalia along with a
| few extra bells and whistles.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/02/02/vista_music_fud/

Yesterday:

MSN Music UK does not play on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I cannot play MSN Music UK's music files on Vista - I've over 150
| tracks that I purchased - and it doesn't work.
`----

http://badgerguy.livejournal.com/179419.html

Vista and iTunes Don't Play Nice Together

,----[ Quote ]
| Various folks are reporting that you cannot authorize iTunes
| (for WIndows) on Vista to play things purchased from the iTunes Store.
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/01/vista-and-itunes-dont-play-nice-together/

Related:

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Sound card issues with Vista seem common (as proven above, IIRC).