Re: Vista Criticisms and Bugs Du Jour, IE7 Bugs, Broken Applications...e

  • Subject: Re: Vista Criticisms and Bugs Du Jour, IE7 Bugs, Broken Applications...e
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:43:47 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, royschestowitz@xxxxxxxxxx
<royschestowitz@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 2 Feb 2007 14:58:48 -0800
<1170457128.241184.64320@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Vista gives a view of a new world
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Internet law professor Michael Geist casts an eye over the fine
> | print in Windows Vista and is concerned at what he finds.
> `----
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk

What, impersonating Roy taking up all of your brainpower?
Can't post a link correctly?  Radiation from the nearby
radio tower and/or the attractive redheaded receptionist
addling your wits?

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janine_Melnitz)

Here, let me help you.  BBC's search technology actually
works (unlike a certain other vendors'), and coughs up:

    Vista gives a view of a new world

    Internet law professor Michael Geist casts an eye over
    the fine print in Windows Vista and is concerned at
    what he finds.

     Vista, the latest version of Microsoft Windows has
     made its long awaited consumer debut. It incorporates
     a new, sleek look and such novelties as better search
     tools and stronger security.

     [...]

     While those reviews have focused chiefly on new
     functions, for the past few months the legal and
     technical communities have dug into Vista's "fine
     print".

     Those communities have raised red flags about Vista's
     legal terms and conditions as well as the technical
     limitations built in to the software at the insistence
     of the motion picture industry.

     Hard look

     The net effect of these concerns may constitute
     the real Vista revolution as they point to an
     unprecedented loss of consumer control over their
     own PCs.

     [...]

     Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions
     granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the
     legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect
     of deleting certain programs without the user's
     knowledge.

     [...]

An old Ford campaign comes to mind:

    "It may be your car, but it's still our baby."

Since Ford is not doing so well either, one wonders how
many feet Microsoft has left.  (A hint to Microsoft:
replacing a mortar with a repeating rocket launcher does
not help one's aim, especially if it's still pointed
downward at one's feet.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }