Re: [News] Gates Would Put Lives in Hands of Windows

  • Subject: Re: [News] Gates Would Put Lives in Hands of Windows
  • From: Paul Bramscher <brams006_nospam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:48:38 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linuxiac wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems

,----[ Quote ]
| While on a visit in Romania, where Bill Gates participated in the
| celebration of 10 years since the Microsoft branch has been running
| there, and the launch of Vista, Microsoft?s president declared that,
| with the right ammount of administration, the new Vista could run
| life support systems in hospitals.
`----

http://www.our-picks.com/archives/2007/02/01/bill-gates-vista-is-so-secure-it-could-run-life-support-systems/

Bad idea. See below. This comes just a day after a serious voice recognition
Vista hole was confirmed by Microsoft.

Related:

Microsoft in the NHS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is one of the key technology firms in the £6.2 billion NHS
| IT programme. It is working particularly closely with iSOFT...
`----

http://www.e-health-insider.com/comment_and_analysis/index.cfm?ID=69

CfH refutes computer failure claims

,----[ Quote ]
| "Very often they are not major incidents as such, but could be caused when
| a patient administration system is running slow or there may be problems
| with the local network. The severity level is attributed by the user and
| this is subsequently very often down graded or amended."
| | Many of the incidents that have been reported by CfH include failure of
| the systems used by surgeons to see X-ray pictures on a computer screen
| in wards and operating theatres. On some occasions the system is believed
| to have crashed during an operation, forcing surgeons to suspend the
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| procedure while a hard copy of the X-ray is found.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/19/cfh_defends_itself/

Failed NHS project cost $12 billion http://www.e-health-insider.com/news/item.cfm?ID=700

Bottom line is that Microsoft Corporation advised against using their product in any safety of life applications, as they will NOT indemnify any Microsoft product for such use.

Interesting note, but I disagree with the "failed" part. Corrupt bureaucrats and CEO's write checks and print dollars with invisible ink when it comes to large contracts (take the Iraqi rebuilding efforts for instance). When 9+ digits just evaporate, it's no accident. That's deliberate pillaging, and so you shouldn't say "failed". Say "fleeced".

It is a game OS.  It might do a letter or spreadsheet (back up OFTEN!).
Prefer http://pclinuxos.com

Just had a F3 Tornado hit 50 miles from here, Storms from 3AM to 5 AM,
2 fatalities, destroyed the 1500 foot tall radio station tower, which fell on the station building, so Starz 94.5 is gone for a few weeks...
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/070104_rpts.html

20,000 without power.  Lady Lake, in Lake County Florida.

But, I sat through the heavy rain and 100 Mph winds.  Many roads closed.

Thought you'd care to know, as an aside, that all my PCs running GNU/Linux http://pclinuxos.com bravely weathered it. The only failure was the sole XP Pro box, with a weird warning that AVG has an update error.

Many of the emergency telephone centers for 911 systems in the USA are converted or are converting to the better GNU/Linux management system.

During an emergency response, the BSOD can dishearten you!

Not a factor of the OS so much as power supply and physical shielding.