[News] Why Oracle's Anti-Open Source Battle May Be Too Little, Too Late

Unshakeable MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL AB is a company that deeply understands that open source software
| is an excellent business tool, and how to best apply it.  They
| understand that the software and its source code are a great
| customer engagement mechanism, and that the product they sell
| to solve customer problems is
`----

http://stephesblog.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/01/unshakeable_mys.html

More thoughts on Unbreakable MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| "If Oracle is actually considering this, then they still really
| really don't get it," notes Stephen Walli, while Alex Fletcher
| thinks it is "Oracle attempting to bottle and clone naturally
| forming disruption while it continues to refine its competitive
| strategy."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/02/more_thoughts_o.html

Related:

Enterprise Unix Roundup: Oracle, Enterprise Linux Pioneer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Under no circumstances should it be thought that Oracle is doing
| this out of any sense of altruism, and therein lies the rub.
| Oracle wants to knock Red Hat off the top of the enterprise Linux mountain
| -- no ifs, ands, or buts. And, if Mickos is correct, it will want to
| do the same to MySQL. Even with selfish motivations, Oracle may have
| stumbled on the formula that only FLOSS allows.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3657116

Walli: Oracle Doesn't Get It

,----[ Quote ]
| Walli says if Oracle is seriously considering a MySQL support
| service, the database giant ?really, really? doesn?t get it.
| In doing so, the company would be offering its customers a
| competing product that is, in fact, better than its own
| products, for a fraction of the cost. What could that do,
| Walli asks, but destroy Oracle?s own installation base?
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/index.php/2007/01/31/walli-oracle-doesnt-get-it/

Will Oracle launch Unbreakable MySQL?

,----[ Quote ]
| "They have hinted to us that they will," said Mickos, indicating
| that the database giant is planning to repeat its October 2006
| Unbreakable Linux plan, which saw it undercut Red Hat with
| enterprise Linux support.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/will_oracle_lau.html

Customer Backlash Against Oracle's Buggy Linux Product?

,----[ Quote ]
| And there is other feedback showing that Oracle's Linux is extremely buggy,
| and it keeps crashing, and Oracle has generated quite a bit of backlash and
| animosity from the broader open source community towards Oracle. So, I
| guess the question is, is it realistic to think that Oracle is just going
| to ride this experiment into the ground, or would you expect them to
| possibly withdraw their offering from the marketplace?
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061222/22921_id.html?.v=1

Unbreakable Linux still unproven, analyst warns

,----[ Quote ]
| IT managers running Red Hat Linux should think carefully before
| making the switch to Unbreakable Linux, the new Linux distribution
| that Oracle Corp. announced last month.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1233083,00.html

Oracle F2Q07 (Qtr End 11/30/06) Earnings Call Transcript

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/22626