Re: [News] Why Oracle's Anti-Open Source Battle May Be Too Little, Too Late

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/02/more_thoughts_o.html

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/index.php/2007/01/31/walli-oracle-doesnt-get-it/

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/will_oracle_lau.html

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1233083,00.html

> Oracle F2Q07 (Qtr End 11/30/06) Earnings Call Transcript
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In the first 30 days, we had 9,000 downloads of Unbreakable Linux
> | from our website and hundreds of customers connecting their servers
> | to our network.
> `----
>
> http://seekingalpha.com/article/22626

I really don't like these anti Oracle posts. Oracle are a database vendor
and MySQL is therefore a competitor. Of cause Oracle will promote their own
database as any vendor does. They can't whip the masses into using Oracle,
people will use it if the application calls for it. The huge difference in
cost is enough to seperate the two database engines into different
sections. No one would pay for Oracle to write a little addressbook, or
many of the smaller databases in use.

But, if I was given the contract to do a complete recreation of say the
Natwest Bank's database, with their 'x' number of main servers and 'y'
number of sub-servers plus 'z' numbers of clients. I wouldn't put MySQL
onto the list of possible database engines at all.

I would put Unidata and Oracle on that list though. Because I know that I do
not need to worry about the capabilities of those two on large quantities
of data and the problems of slave servers and many clients. These are big
beasts and easily capable of taking on the big jobs that are quite simply
out of MySQL's league altogether.

But then the cut down Oracle (I don't know if it is still available, I
haven't seen it around) intended to take the smaller jobs and was given
away freely, wasn't really as good as postgres or MySQL. No doubt just as
capable, but it didn't feel as clean and slick in real use. Maybe they just
cut it down too far, I know that every so often I would go for a typical
Oracle tool and find it wasn't part of the kit.

MySQL has it's place, but so does Oracle, the managers of the big databases
have no choice at the moment but to wait for the big boys in the database
world to come up with the Linux versions that are at least as reliable and
powerfull as the UNIX version. That is why we need Oracle, they have the
key to Linux's next major advances in the server main frame market. Look at
the success of Unidata since it was released for Win Servers (as well as
it's usual UNIX version), Win Server people needed a major db engine and
now they have it, it is building in popularity simply because it is so very
capable of taking on jobs that at one time you simply wouldn't have
concidered for a Win Server.

So leave Oracle alone, let the markets and the available db jobs decide on
which engine is needed. Because the alternative is for the big boys to go
to Win Servers and then Linux loses out big time.