Re: [News] Game Publisher: Only 1 (Or Less) in 10 Games Will Work in Vista

  • Subject: Re: [News] Game Publisher: Only 1 (Or Less) in 10 Games Will Work in Vista
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:53:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 31 January 2007 20:22 \__

>> Vista breaks 90% of games, claims game publisher
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Alex St. John, chief executive of game publisher WildTangent, today
>> | blasted his former employer for a half-baked and negligent way of
>> | treating the majority of game publishers - small development studios
>> | and individual programmers of casual games: St. John claims that at
>> | least nine out of ten games do not work with Vista.
>> `----
>>
>> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/
>
>     It's funny, 'cause WildTangent produces spyware, so it's actually good
> publicity for Vista that WildTangent is unable to get their products to run
> on Vista without the user's consent.
>
> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/
> <quote>
> He conceded that Microsoft "likely made a conscious decision to make it
> tough for downloadable applications to work with Vista."
> </quote>
>
> Check out Slashdot for more commentary on Vista and Games:
>
> http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/30/2049251
> <quote>
> I must admit, everytime I see wild claims of "Vista breaks gaming", deeper
> reading usually reveals "Vista breaks our stupid copy protection that
> needed admin access". I see this as a good thing. Ive had enough computers
> fucked over by SecuROM, StarForce and friends.
> </quote>
>
>     - Oliver

Oliver, whatever the true figures are, this is a terrible thing. I have been
glancing at about a dozen articles this morning, all of which complain about
compatibility... games... online games... software... even Web-based
software is said to sometimes break with IE7... even crucial things like
online payments and government sites in Korea.

Whatever Vista brings, people won't be happy. People take pleasure in
collecting things (and I'm no exception). People have collections of films,
music, even games... and, heck, a friend of mine has a /huge/ game
collection and he once said he would one day make some good use of it...
speaking about the possibility of doing legacy stuff... he messes about with
DOS emulators even.

Vista marks the stage when not only films and music can be invalidated or
inaccessible overnight (DRM), but games will also become useless binary
blobs (no source code to bring them back into life, so to speak)... and will
no longer be accessible unless you keep some old pile of metal in your house
and use highly insecure O/Sen.

Vista breaks digital preservation. Documents get locks. Music and films need
keys. Games cease to function and there's no access to code that can be
tweak to mend them.

This whole thing is a disaster to archiving and historians. The British
library (or some representative association thereof) has already complained
about this and shortly afterwards Gates makes some notebook available to
Vista only.

I wrote this message very quickly (as usual), so excuse the spew-like nature
of it.

Publish And Perish

,----[ Quote ]
| Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
| Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
| "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
| look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
| If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
| case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
| Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.
|
| "The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should
| become obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade,"
| Rose says. We could be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the
| way businesses and their customers think about digital preservation.
| "Things will start to change when people start losing all of their personal
| photos," Rose said.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/books-information-preservation-tech-media_cx_ee_books06_1201acid.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yyjqoh

Vista and British Library put da Vinci online

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S