[News] Microsoft Screws Zune Buyers - Buggy and Broken Units Get No Warranty

Zune screens cracking from battery pressure?

,----[ Quote ]
| Our tipster's friend conjectures that the lithium ion battery --
| which resides right behind the top half of the Zune's screen --
| is expanding from overheating and putting too much pressure on
| the screen, causing it to crack. Unfortunately, Microsoft
| currently regards the issue as outside warranty coverage,
| leaving the victims with a broken Zune and nowhere to turn.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/zune-screens-cracking-from-battery-pressure/

Anything they make, including the XBox 360, seems to be breaking in a bad
way. More flaws and issues with the Zune listed below.

Related:

Microsoft (Sort of) Details Zune Flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Though Microsoft had admitted that its Zune player would be unable
| to share certain songs wirelessly before the device shipped in
| November 2006, this week the software maker provided a few more
| details about this flaw.
`----

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/94934/94934.html

Zune Customer Support: Music skips if battery is not charged fully.

,----[ Quote ]
| In my first customer support call, the rep from Microsoft informs me that
| if the Zune does not have a "full charge" on the battery, then the data
| may skip.
`----

http://digg.com/gadgets/Zune_Customer_Support_Music_skips_if_battery_is_not_charged_fully

Microsoft using early Vista users as guinea pigs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting to read in the International Herald Tribune this week
| about Microsoft hitting a 'crisis of confidence' with its new Vista
| operating system.
|
| [...]
|
| Sounds familiar? Your bet - it's almost an exact re-run of the
| security issues that affected Windows XP in its earliest days.
|
| Microsoft wouldn't be using its Vista users - as it did with XP -
| as guinea pigs, now would it?...
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=646

Zune misses top-10 list of holiday devices sold

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp.'s Zune player was not among the top-10 list of
| digital audio devices sold over the winter holidays in the U.S.,
| with Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod remaining champion of that market,
| according to research analyst firm Current Analysis Inc.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Tech/5051/070105zune/index.html

Universal and Sony prohibit Zune sharing for certain artists

,----[ Quote ]
| It's official: record companies don't like you. After all that griping
| about signing up for the Zune music store -- and keep in mind that
| these record companies receive monies for selling songs here -- that
| resulted in Universal Music Group getting some sort of fat royalty
| check from Microsoft for Zune sales, not to mention whatever
| negotiations went on behind closed doors to come up with that
| ridiculously minimal "three days or three plays" sharing scheme, a
| couple of labels have once again gone out of their way to make
| life hard on you.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/19/universal-and-sony-prohibit-zune-sharing-for-certain-artists/

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
| the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
| (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
| store unpurchased songs.
|
| [...]
|
| Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
| money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
| thieves without evidence.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

Universal to seek money for each iPod sold

,----[ Quote ]