[News] Amid 'Vistaisation' of the Web, Microsoft Grabs Standards People

Former WaSP Interoperability Advocate Hired by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The lady who in September 2005 called Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's
| claim in a BusinessWeek article that his company would eventually
| "win the Web" "deplorable in the light of what the Web means to the
| world, to users, to designers and developers and to put it into
| Microsoft parlance, customers," now finds herself working for him.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Former_WaSP_Interoperability_Advocate_Hired_by_Microsoft/1170263944

With some of the latest venom, Microsoft intends to redo an ActiveX-like
hijack of the Web. For that, Europe may already consider Vista illegal.

Related:

Vista and British Library put da Vinci online

,----[ Quote ]
| The British Library has created an updated version of its application
| called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of
| its 150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how
| this works better using Vista.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/

Apparently, it's only accessible to Vista users.

Microsoft rivals file second European complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Microsoft was preventing access to Vista's programming interfaces
| and hindering the development of compatible products, thus repeating
| anti-competitive violations the commission had identified three
| years ago in a previous operating system.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bAF5B8FB2-488F-4468-80B8-21F6EEE223E3%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2ybdot

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Software manufacturers, citing 2004 European Commission finding,
| contend the operating system violates server laws in Europe.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Commerce Secretary names Schramm to innovation panel

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061206/1386414.html?.