Re: 36% Say Open Source Will Put End to Microsoft and Its Ilk

Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Feb 16, 12:31 pm, "Reporter" <TruckSaf...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 10:04 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > Open source divides you evenly
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>> >http://m-net.net.nz/latest-news/1435/open-source-divides-you-almost-e...
>
> Seems a bit like the numbers I posted yesterday doesn't it.  About 1/3
> will remain loyal to Microsoft, come hell or high water (at least for
> the next few months).  About 1/3 are seriously considering blowing
> away Microsoft entirely and running Linux/OSS.  About 1/3 are looking
> at a synthisis, at least for a transitional period.
>
> As wierd as it may sound, I'm more in line with the synthisis group.
> Microsoft does have some nice technology and some of it is useful.  On
> the other hand, if Microsoft absolutely insists on "All or Nothing"
> then I won't be buying any NEW versions of Microsoft software.

This would be fine, except I know that with Microsoft, their business
model is to make me dependent on things, and ensure that they're not
available anywhere else.  Then, they'll end of life the capability, and
require me to pay them again to do the same thing which I was already
quite happily doing.  This is *not* a long-term sustainable approach
from my perspective.

If MS were to offer capabilities which would not lock me in, then I
would not have a particular problem with them, and would consider their
offerings on their merits in other respects.  That said, being
open-source is a powerful merit for any software.

<snip>