Re: 36% Say Open Source Will Put End to Microsoft and Its Ilk

  • Subject: Re: 36% Say Open Source Will Put End to Microsoft and Its Ilk
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 16 Feb 2007 14:13:40 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Feb 16, 12:31 pm, "Reporter" <TruckSaf...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 10:04 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Open source divides you evenly
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | Is this the end of the road for proprietary software makers like
> > | Microsoft? Well, 36.2 per cent of you said it was, just slightly
> > | more than the 34.5 per cent of readers who took a more cautious
> > | stance and opined it was merely a reflection of a maturingindustry.
> > | The remaining 29.3 per cent scoffed, claiming the question was
> > | merely the wishful dreams of software uber-geeks.
> > `----
> >http://m-net.net.nz/latest-news/1435/open-source-divides-you-almost-e...

Seems a bit like the numbers I posted yesterday doesn't it.  About 1/3
will remain loyal to Microsoft, come hell or high water (at least for
the next few months).  About 1/3 are seriously considering blowing
away Microsoft entirely and running Linux/OSS.  About 1/3 are looking
at a synthisis, at least for a transitional period.

As wierd as it may sound, I'm more in line with the synthisis group.
Microsoft does have some nice technology and some of it is useful.  On
the other hand, if Microsoft absolutely insists on "All or Nothing"
then I won't be buying any NEW versions of Microsoft software.

Ironically, Microsoft's best chance of saving itself from a 60% drop
in sales, would be to "play nice with Linux".  Keeping XP in the
marketplace, allowing OEMS to sell systems configured with 64 bit
Linux and 32 bit XP, and possibly coming up with a "Virtual Vista"
designed to work within a very small VM, could help Microsoft sell new
licenses that might otherwise end up in the rapidly expanding "White
Box" market.

Let's face it, if OEMs start looking at a market in which 60% of the
market is "white box" machines designed to run Linux and sold without
Windows, and Apple ramping-up it's production of Mini-Macs and iMacs
to 15% of the market, do you really think that HP is going to sit back
keep Linux machines off the retail shelves?

The scenario is a bit like 1975, when gasoline went from 25 cents/
gallon to over 1 dollar per gallon.  Almost immediately, Honda,
Toyota, Volkwagon, and Datsun could sell every care they were allowed
to import, while Chrysler ultimately ended up needing a bail-out, Ford
rushed the Pinto into production, and GM rushed out the Chevette.

Remember, millions of users who started using Linux in 1995 when they
couldn't upgrade Windwos 3.1 machines to 95 successfully, have grown
from teenagers to adults.  Those who programmed web sites on Linux/
Apache back in 1996 are now executives in megadollar corporations.
Many of those who were burned badly when they tried to move UNIX
applications to NT 4.0 and couldn't get back to UNIX and Linux fast
enough - are now CIOs and CEOs.

Today, most companies require that their IT staff know Linux.  They
require that all PCs purchased be "Linux Ready".  They formally or
informally support FireFox, OpenOffice, and Java because they are
available on both Windows and Linux.  Nearly ALL NEW applications are
being developed using multiplatform tools that allow the created
product to run on both Windows AND Linux.

For the past 6 years, corporate managers have been covertly and
quietly planning for the relase of Vista.  Not planning to ADOPT
Vista, but planning to REJECT Vista and switch to Linux as quickly as
possible.

> ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha
[snip]
> ha ha  ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha ha ha  ha
> ha ha  ha ha ha

Looks like we need a white jacket, large, with extra long sleeves to
help this WinTroll learn to love himself.