Re: [News] Seniors Ignore Open Source Because They Thrive in Spendings

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Why CIOs Don't Care About Open Source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Spend small, think small. Organizational interest inevitably revolves
> | around the spending of money. Initiatives that require significant
> | budgets get everyone's attention. Smart people see leaders spending
> | a ton of time thinking about an initiative and recognize that's
> | their promotion vehicle. Open source, by contrast, typically
> | requires 90 percent of the budget for proprietary software,
> | so it doesn't have the high profile of being discussed endlessly.
> `----
>
> http://www.cio.in/esntech/viewArticle/ARTICLEID=2838

This is quite the opposite of my experience.
What seniors want are things that they are used to.
They don't mind it coming through Linux and open source.
What they value most is integration. So one button
response is far more important than a disparate set
of software packages. Usually proprietory stuff is
like that - you have to buy loads of bits and the
attention span wanes as you thumb through the details.
However if you say that open source has all the
features and its easy to integrate everything
with little scripts and small modification of source
code, then they are all ears. They value the
linking of all kinds of software gadgets into
presentable formats.
Like for example using Apache, Perl, PostgreSQL
to link accounts, HR, stocks, engineering reports etc
makes sense to senior management.