Re: MS Punts: Settles Iowa antitrust case

__/ [ Mark Dodel ] on Thursday 15 February 2007 14:12 \__

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700AP_Microsoft_Iowa_Settlement.html
> -> >> -> -> -> >> ->
> -> >> -> TECH WIRE
> -> >> ->
> -> >> -> Wednesday, February 14, 2007 · Last updated 9:01 a.m. PT ->
> -> >> -> Microsoft settles Iowa antitrust case ->
> -> >> -> THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
> -> >> ->
> -> >> -> DES MOINES, Iowa -- A class-action lawsuit that alleged Microsoft
> -> >> Corp. -> overcharged consumers was settled Wednesday for an
> undisclosed -> >> amount. ->
> -> >> -> Details could be released at a court hearing April 20.
> -> >>
> -> >> It appears that as part of the settlement the evidence collected of
> -> >> microsoft's crimes has been hidden.   Now
> -> >> http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/ requires a Userid/password to
> access.
> -> >>  Did anyone download the files from there or know another location
> for -> >> them?
> -> >
> -> > I'm sure someone wgetted them, or at least quotes them.
> ->
> -> I've been watching this case in the various forums. Quite a few people
> -> have captured the site at various stages. It must be a pretty big
> download -> - someone with broadband was complaining they'd been capturing
> the site -> for nearly 12 hours when they ran out of HD space.
> ->
> -> I wonder if putting all those records on the Internet was a clever
> tactic -> to pressure Microsoft into settling? They usually make everything
> go away -> by settling at the last moment and having the records sealed,
> but there's -> no suppressing information once it's on the Internet.
> ->
> ->
>
> I found a site that has most of the PDFs, but he said he didn't get a
> chance to download the WMFs of gates' testimony.
> http://www.os2site.com/sw/info/comes/index.html

I wonder if:

1) the content was made available to anyone just to put pressure on
Microsoft.

2) the settlement led to many people 'wget -r'ing the site, which led to this
authentication stage.

I did a few searches on GooTube, but nobody appears to have uploaded the
videos. In fact, the older ones got removed quite some time ago. PJ asked
her readers to keep a copy of the videos when they appear ("it'sss backkk.."
she said), so someone out there should have it.

Maybe they'll make a page like Ballmer's.

http://www.ntk.net/ballmer/mirrors.html

It's quite a popular URL, but Google/YouTube make it rather obsolete.

The transcripts are online, but the bobbing must be seen for dramatic effect.

--
                ~~ Greetings

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"