Re: MS Punts: Settles Iowa antitrust case

  • Subject: Re: MS Punts: Settles Iowa antitrust case
  • From: arachnid <none@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:38:57 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:05:19 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Subject:      Re: MS Punts: Settles Iowa antitrust case
> From:         Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Date:         Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:05:19 +0000
>
> __/ [ Mark Dodel ] on Wednesday 14 February 2007 23:20 \__
>
>> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:17:37 UTC, John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> ->
>> ->
>>
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700AP_Microsoft_Iowa_Settlement.html
>> -> ->
>> ->
>> -> TECH WIRE
>> ->
>> -> Wednesday, February 14, 2007 · Last updated 9:01 a.m. PT ->
>> -> Microsoft settles Iowa antitrust case ->
>> -> THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
>> ->
>> -> DES MOINES, Iowa -- A class-action lawsuit that alleged Microsoft
>> Corp. -> overcharged consumers was settled Wednesday for an undisclosed
>> amount. ->
>> -> Details could be released at a court hearing April 20.
>>
>> It appears that as part of the settlement the evidence collected of
>> microsoft's crimes has been hidden.   Now
>> http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/ requires a Userid/password to access.
>>  Did anyone download the files from there or know another location for
>> them?
>
> I'm sure someone wgetted them, or at least quotes them.

I've been watching this case in the various forums. Quite a few people
have captured the site at various stages. It must be a pretty big download
- someone with broadband was complaining they'd been capturing the site
for nearly 12 hours when they ran out of HD space.

I wonder if putting all those records on the Internet was a clever tactic
to pressure Microsoft into settling? They usually make everything go away
by settling at the last moment and having the records sealed, but there's
no suppressing information once it's on the Internet.