Re: [News] Google Members Bring Enterprise Storage Features to Linux

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 14 February 2007 11:13 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Zumastor Linux Storage Project
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Zumastor is a community project started by Google members to bring
>> | enterprise storage features to Linux.  Currently, we offer a
>> | ready-to-use network storage server with enterprise features
>> | such as online volume backup, multiple volume snapshots, remote
>> | volume replication, integration with Kerberized CITI NFS and Samba,
>> | all wrapped up with a nice, easy management interface.
>> |
>> | As a subproject we offer the ddsnap virtual snapshot Linux kernel
>> | extension, which adds multiple snapshot and remote replication
>> | capability to Linux filesystems in general.
>> `----
>>
>> http://zumastor.googlepages.com/
>
> I have no doubt of Googles integrity, I like Google and of cause they have
> been Linux supports right from the off. But.
>
> It does make me nervous that people are backing up their computers onto an
> unknown server, had the name been very obviously google then maybe it
> wouldn't be so bad. But it is a 'LIKE google' name, isn't that what the
> phisher folk are likely to do?
>
>         'Back your private documents and data and particularly your credit
>         card
> details onto our server at http://www.googlebackup.org.mars. We only use
> secure comms. Ok ok so once it is on our server the secure comms play no
> part and we can sift through your data at our leasure, but in return you
> get a backup'.
>
> Google have kerberized so that the security aspect of your data at their
> end should be safe. But still, it is such an easy dupe from a spammer that
> there has to be great care in supplying this sort of service.
>
> Come on Google, play the modern game, make the name of the backup area a
> proper Google name to reduce the risk of these users being duped into
> revealing their all. I would have also thought that insisting users take a
> proper none public key would have been a necessary part of this sort of
> backup, but that might just me the pessimist in me.
>
> As I said, I trust Google, and I am sure they have covered all of the
> security areas far better than I could, but that page doesn't suggest it.

Yes, that's precisely the point made by companies like CleverSafe. I could
find the exact statement where they made the same argument, but here are
some links of interest.

Greenplum Announces First Appliance Deal, New CEO & Funding

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Cook joined officially took over at the helm last November. He came on
| board from San Francisco-based Linux startup Penguin Computing Inc.
|
| [...]
|
| Greenplum also closed a $15m round of financing led by Sierra Ventures,
| which was one of the original investors in data warehousing firm Teradata
| before it was acquired by NCR Corp.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=86A772A9-8A7B-45B8-8433-86D0B7788399

Open-Source Storage

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.forbes.com/business/businesstech/2007/01/25/opensource-cleversafe-storage-tech-enter-cz_qh_0125cleversafe.html
http://tinyurl.com/37kckz

--
                ~~ Happy Valentine's Day

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S