Re: [News] Symantec CEO says no Vista for me

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 13 February 2007 18:08 \__

http://news.com.com/Symantec+CEO+says+no+Vista+for+me/2008-1009_3-6158821.html?tag=nefd.lede

>     Coming off a good quarter for Symantec's consumer businesses, CEO
>     John Thompson warns against viewing Windows Vista as a solution to
>     security woes.
>
>     [...]
>
>     Q: Have you installed Vista?
>     Thompson: No, I have not. I see no need for it for
>     what I do online today. The machine that I use is the
>     one provided by our company, and we have not made a
>     commitment to migrate to Vista and therefore there is
>     no reason for me to use Vista.
>
>     Q: Microsoft says you have to buy Vista because it
>     makes you much safer online than XP, or any of its
>     previous operating systems. Do you believe that?
>     Thompson: Consumers should not be confused. Vista is
>     not a security solution. Vista is an operating system,
>     and Vista provides some very important advances from
>     Microsoft's perspective and for the industry's point
>     of view on building a more stable, more reliable, more
>     secure operating platform, but people still need the
>     efficacy that comes with the products that Symantec
>     and others in the industry build, and so we should not
>     be confused by the marketing rhetoric with what Vista
>     is. It's a hopefully much better product than XP or any
>     of its predecessors, but it's not a security solution.

The same guy also slammed Windows, from which he makes a living. He advised
people not to use Windows.

--
                ~~ Happy Valentine's Day (Mañana)

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
  3:05am  up 22 days  3:23,  6 users,  load average: 1.61, 1.19, 0.65