Re: [News] Microsoft in Coalition to Crack Down on Piracy (and Grow Linux)

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 13 February 2007 10:58 \__

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/antipiracy-group-makes-list-worst-offender/story.aspx?guid=%7B994F0B4D%2D68F0%2D4EFC%2D8390%2DFA002A4F2188%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

>> Microsoft is believed to have used its Russian BSA equivalent to
>> bully and imprison a poor teacher. The outcome wasn't that which
>> they had hoped for.
>>

>> Russian Schools to Switch to Linux After Microsoft Piracy Case
>>
>> http://www.mosnews.com/news/2007/02/07/linuxschool.shtml
>
> They must have been testing their "make the Chinese pay" stategy on
> the Russians to see if it works.
>
> Oops.
>
> Oh well, it all worked out for the best in the end, eh?

A subsequent interview with a Microsoft exec/spokesman (in Russian, I think)
had them very embarrassed. Linux got mentioned, Microsoft avoided the
subject and then stubbornly touted the 'virtues' of Windows. I can't recall
where I read this, but it was funny at the time.

--
                ~~ Happy Valentine's Day (Mañana)

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.