Re: [News] Negroponte: It would be nuts for OLPC to advocate being "open" and then being closed to Microsoft

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Sunday 11 February 2007 18:14 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Rick ] on Sunday 11 February 2007 15:25 \__

>>> Bailo, how does it feel to be such an idiot?
>>
>> http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2393&from=rss
>>
>> <quote>
>>       "Microsoft has a real problem with open source -- a problem with
>>       which
>> I sympathize. Nonetheless, we are working with them. They have laptops and
>> are determined to put Windows on it. We are helping them do so. It would
>> be nuts for One Laptop Per Child to advocate being "open'" and then being
>> closed to Microsoft."
>>
>> Why should anyone "sympathize" with the problem Microsoft is having with
>> the open source?!?
>> </quote>
>>
>> Good point. I wondered the same thing when I initially read this.
>>

> It's complete double talk!    You can't be "open" to "closed source".
>
> Example:
>
> We want peace.
>
> But our neighbor wants war.
>
> Therefore we should open the gates of our fortress to him because it is the
> only peaceful thing to do.
>
> Of course, when he starts cutting our heads off....
>

> It's just another example where I wish Microsoft would just go away and
> stop bothering everyone and screwing up perfectly good projects.

Or attempts to get some freedom.

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission has resisted efforts by Microsoft to make it
| abandon its report into open source software, it was revealed this week.
|
| [...]
|
| The software giant also commissioned a respected university academic to
| back its case and enlisted the help of a trade association, CompTIA.
`----

http://software.silicon.com/applications/0,39024653,39165722,00.htm

Microsoft sues Brazilian magazine, IT official for defamation

,----[ Quote ]
| In a 7 June filing to the Criminal Court of Sao Paulo, Microsoft
| said that "Sergio Amadeu, President of the National Institute of
| Information Technology (ITI), aiming at disseminating free software
| among Ministries, State owned companies and governmental bodies,
| made aggressive declarations lacking any kind of technical foundation
| about the use of the software developed by Microsoft."
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/06/20/1420245

John, did you really work for this company?

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 115 total,   1 running, 110 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie