Re: high cost of Linux administration ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Sunday 11 February 2007 17:48 \__

> Microsoft is providing another option to customers that would like to
> eliminate the cost of Linux administration?set-up, optimization and
> maintenance?which should spur interest in HPC further.?
>
> Specifically, Herold points out that he has been able to install his
> company?s seismic processing software in one hour on a Windows-based
> cluster as compared to what is usually a two- to three-day job in a Linux
> environment.
>
> ?I?ve done dozens of Windows installations, in fact, that came up in only
> ten minutes,? he explains,
>
> ?whereas, I did a Linux installation in Moscow recently that took five days
> because of all of the customization required in that environment. With
> Windows, you drop it in place and it runs. Standardization pays off.?
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/supercomputing/docs/HPCWP.doc

Microsoft Exec Wanted To Mask Linux Report Sponsorship, E-mails Reveal

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002546

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
Mem:    514480k total,   477232k used,    37248k free,    14192k buffers