Re: Operating System Prices in Europe Make Linux Very Attractive

  • Subject: Re: Operating System Prices in Europe Make Linux Very Attractive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 06:40:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ peterwn ] on Saturday 10 February 2007 23:09 \__

> On Feb 11, 9:37 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Microsoft does not like Europeans?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Many people started complaining that $399 would be expensive,
>> | especially with very easy to work Linux distributions being
>> |                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> | shipped for free (like Ubuntu) or OSX gaining market share
>> | with the Apple's Macbooks (with Intel Core Duo CPUs). I would
>> | honestly believe that they would do what most American/European
>> | companies always do, $399 would transform here in Euro399 (even
>> | though Euro1 has been around $1.3 for a while), but it would
>> | not cross my mind to even imagine that here, in Europe, you
>> | are getting the same package with prices that go from
>> | Euro550 to more than Euro669!
>> `----
>>
> Same problem in New Zealand, they charge what they think they can get
> away with.  The 'shrink wrap' market is probably their most lucrative
> and would be perceived as a captive market in general (individuals and
> SME's who need to interact with outfits who get their copies cheap on
> bulk deals).

It was said that in Australia, Windows Vista is more expansive than a PC.

I've found the link:

Vista costs more than a computer in Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
| that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
| more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
| computer.

                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
roy      pts/4                         Sat Feb 10 05:49 - 05:49  (00:00)