Re: [News] Why Microsoft Fights for More DRM

  • Subject: Re: [News] Why Microsoft Fights for More DRM
  • From: suckmysav <brettg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:05:41 +1100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:28:51 -0800, John Bailo wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Why Microsoft will fight for DRM
>
>> | Windows Media player that is a run away success. This is why
>> | Microsoft will not join with Apple in calling for a DRM-free
>> | world. They need DRM so they are going to fight for it.
>> `----
>
> My complaint about Apple and Microsoft's DRM is this: it's simply not
> effective.
>
> I like DRM -- I think it's the best way for small artists to get recompense
> for their works.   The debate of big bad MS or Crapple DRM versus no DRM
> does not interest me.   Like most of their products, they make a big
> hoo-hah about DRM, but they offer poorly written implementations.
>
> DRM -- if it can directly reward artists for the use of their works -- would
> be great.   I just think that, once again, the big OS companies have not
> created anything workable, just something that uses a lot of CPU overhead
> and plays to the audience.

That is an interesting position, that of linking DRM. I wonder if you have
really thought it through though.

If I can buy a song DRM free on a CD and then rip it with virtually
zero effort, then why can't I buy that same song online DRM free? What is
the difference? Why can they sell DRM free CD's without hurting artists
yet (apparently) if they were to sell the same songs online without DRM it
would suddenly "hurt" the very same artists. We are talking about the
exact same product only with two different delivery mechanisms here, right?

I cannot see the difference between clicking a few times to buy a track on
the ITMS using itunes and clicking a few times to rip a CD using itunes.

The end result is exactly the same and the amount of effort required is
virtually identical (assuming you have the CD available). The only
difference being that with one method you get a track that is DRM infected
and with the other method you don't.

A cynic might think that the RIAA is trying to strangle the digital
distribution method in order to protect its existing  physical media
infrastructure because I can think of no other reason to explain the fact
that CD's don't have DRM while digital media from online music stores does.