Re: [News] Why Microsoft Fights for More DRM

  • Subject: Re: [News] Why Microsoft Fights for More DRM
  • From: thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:19:24 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Sender: tdphette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I like DRM -- I think it's the best way for small artists to get recompense
> for their works.   The debate of big bad MS or Crapple DRM versus no DRM
> does not interest me.   Like most of their products, they make a big
> hoo-hah about DRM, but they offer poorly written implementations.
>
> DRM -- if it can directly reward artists for the use of their works -- would
> be great.   I just think that, once again, the big OS companies have not
> created anything workable, just something that uses a lot of CPU overhead
> and plays to the audience.

I'm beginning to think there is no such thing as workable DRM; as
long as there is a way to legally unlock the content, someone will
eventually find a way to illegally unlock it, and then that spreads
across the net and all that expensively deployed infrastructure is
useless.

If you must do something to protect 'IP rights', I think digital
watermarks is a better compromise.  It would not stop anyone from
using the content they have purchased, but it provides a way to
trace major infringing actions to the persons responsible.

Really, I don't buy this whole argument that we need to use
technology to stop piracy or the world will implode.  It implies
that almost everyone will pirate given the chance, and studies
show that is just not true.  Also, if everyone really felt that
way, wouldn't that just mean we should rethink our intellectual
property laws?

Just a thought,

Thad