Re: [News] Thoughts On Dell's Linux 'Hoax'

  • Subject: Re: [News] Thoughts On Dell's Linux 'Hoax'
  • From: Linuxiac <"at yahoo.com ">
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 07:59:48 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
William Poaster wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:36:39 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

So, How Does It Feel To Have Been "Had"

,----[ Quote ]
| In a nutshell, Mike Dell fires his CEO, takes control of Dell again and
| starts "A New Era of Innovation." He has his people put up a website
| asking US what we want in a Dell Computer. In no particular order, the
| tens of thousands of responses were:
| | Linux on the Desktop
| Dual Boot capabilities with Linux as an option FOSS offered instead of
| proprietary garbage (read OpenOffice in place of MS Office)
| Computers with No OS installed
| Less or even no AOL/Earthlink/Name-Your-most-hated-spyware-here.
| | The community, upon digesting the information from the site and the
| dozens of articles resulting from said information, went Bat-Crap.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/archives/104-So,-How-Does-It-Feel-To-Have-Been-Had.html

I'm in the market for a laptop, & was toying with the idea of getting a
Dell because they genuinely appeared interested in installing linux on
their machines. If they're only going to install MicroNovell on them, I'm
no longer interested. I'll look elswhere for either any without an OS
installed & install my own, or with pre-installed perhaps one of these:
http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/

I see 23 Linux laptop makers listed at Linux.org

 http://www.linux.org/vendor/system/laptop.html