Re: Windows Gets Linux-esque Elements

  • Subject: Re: Windows Gets Linux-esque Elements
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 27 Feb 2007 16:24:52 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Feb 27, 9:30 am, John Bailo <jaba...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > Start++ is a cool little add-on to Vista
>
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | typing "sudo programNameOfYourChoice" will run that application
> > | with administrative privileges! This is really great since it
> > | even beats the [CTRL] + [Shift] click on the app to do so -
> > | how easy is that!
>
> Doesn't the use of the name "sudo" infringe on Unix's intellectual property?

The irony is that sudu was a BSD invention.  It was BSD that came up
with the setuid bit in their file system, primarily as a way to
control finite scripts and allow a group of users (or everyone) to do
a limited set of tasks.  sudo was introduced in BSD 4.1, in 1980.

http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/history.html

The sudo command is a slightly smarter script which allows members of
a group to get permission to run as a priviledged user.  The sudo can
check the permissions of each user for each command, keep a history of
what commands this user executes using sudo, and store it in a file
that can only be accessed by "real" root user.

Windows still doesn't have the concept of a setuid command.

But then again, windows doesn't implement symbolic links (shortcuts)
correctly either.  The default on any symbolic link should be to treat
it as if it were the same as it's target (a folder or a file).
Microsoft shortcuts get shoved to the bottom of Windows explorer,
don't automatically get followed from command line commands, and most
programs don't handle them correctly.

Windows also doesn't understand the concept of links either.  This is
a really nice feature when you want a logical copy of a file in one or
more directories in a file system, but only want one physical copy.

Windows also doesn't understand the concept of an open file descripter
as distinct from a file name in a directory.

Linux and Unix have many wonderful features which Microsoft either
can't seem to get right, refuses to implement, or isn't allowed to
implement due to IP restrictions (virtual desktop et al).

Maybe someday, Windows will get:
- A REAL command line interface, with the ability to do anything
  you can do from a GUI in a command line or a script.  WSH is an
  attempt, but not even close to bash, ksh, or even tcsh.

- A recoverable file system that can be backed up in it's
  entirety on a running system, and can be RELIABLY restored
  completely while the system is running.
  Linux has it, Windows doesn't.

- A scheduler that is fast enough to make process level programming
  and IPC practical.  Until this is achieved, windows progams will
  be huge monolithic memory hogs that have to be compiled and linked
  and cannot be recombined with new features as they become available.
  Microsoft's closest equivalent to this is plug-ins.

- Efficient memory and library management.  Do I really need
  to load a 64 megabyte library 80% of which is helps and exception
  handlers, just to run an application that only needs 2 megabytes
  most of the time?  Microsoft has about 5 such monster libraries.
  --wmplayer - 124 meg
  --IEXPLORE -  55 meg
  --ntaskldr -  43 meg
  --svchost  -  33 meg
  -- and we haven't even started office!

- Industry standard compliance
  -- If the power company ran like Microsoft:
      - the voltage would increase a random amount
        between 5 volts and 200 volts, every year.
      - the plugs would change every 2 years.
      - the frequenncy would double every 5 years.
      - any attempt to use batteries while plugged in, would result
        in the destruction of the device.
      - You could only use it for powering devices invented by
        Thomas Edison.
      - Every appliance would have to report itself.
      - Radios and Televisions would report what you watched,
        but nobody else could get access to that information.
      - blackouts would happen every week or so.
      - 12 year olds could shut down the power grid for 30 minutes.
   Microsoft couldn't adhere to a standard as simple as line-feed
terminated records for text editors.  They will argue until hell
freeze over that they are right and the other 50 text editors that use
line-feed terminated records are wrong.  But they are the standard
because notepad was shipped on 1.2 billion PCS sold with Windows.  To
this day, notepad can't handle linefeed terminated records.