Re: [News] Windows Gets Linux-esque Elements

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Bailo
<jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:30:46 -0800
<n7KdnYMTUaopwXnYnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Start++ is a cool little add-on to Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | typing "sudo programNameOfYourChoice" will run that application
>> | with administrative privileges! This is really great since it
>> | even beats the [CTRL] + [Shift] click on the app to do so -
>> | how easy is that!
>
> Doesn't the use of the name "sudo" infringe on Unix's intellectual property?

UNIX(tm) doesn't *have* intellectual property; it's
an OS/distro/offering.  You're presumably referring to
either the Open Group, to AT&T, to UC Berkeley, or to Sun,
the owners of various portions of what is now UNIX(tm).

Since Sudo was apparently initially created in 1994 by
Todd Miller, with UCB elements, it is not clear any of
them are involved anyway.

http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/license.html

It is interesting that Sudo was apparently created *after*
Linux.  Whether this means Sudo was influenced by Linux
(or, more likely, RedHat, Slackware, SLS, or the other distros
popular at the time -- I'd frankly have to look now) is
not clear.  It's a nice utility, though. :-)

For its part Start++ was apparently created by Brandon
Paddock, and is now at version 0.3.2.

http://brandonlive.com/startplusplus/download

It is not entirely clear where sudo fits into this tool,
though it might be a "startlet".

Googling for "sudo Windows Vista" coughed up
http://www.lostcreations.com/sudowin/sudowin
though it is not clear whether that includes Vista or not;
the documentation thereof does not explicitly mention Vista.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows.  Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
(1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".