[News] CBC: MP3 Case Helps Justify Abandonment of DRM

Vista's restrictions highlight digital rights debate

,----[ Quote ]
| But the call has touched a nerve with observers and advocates, and
| EMI is reportedly in talks with online music services to offer
| DRM-free music.
|
| Even Microsoft founder Bill Gates has said DRM is too complex for
| most people.
|
| In a meeting with prominent technology bloggers at Microsoft's
| headquarters in Redmond, Wash., on Dec. 14, 2006, Gates reportedly
| recommended that people simply rip their music tracks from CDs if
| they wanted to transfer songs between devices or computers.
|
| "I think DRM will probably eventually go away," FAD Research's
| Punnett said.
`----

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/tech/vista-digitalrights.html

Related:

There Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Lunch

,----[ Quote ]
| So far from being an impediment
| to so-called "online piracy," it's DRM itself that keeps
| fueling it and driving it forward.
`----

http://preview.baens-universe.com/articles/salvos6

iTunes DRM Inspires People to Pirate Content

,----[ Quote ]
| BitTorrent Inc president and co-founder, Ashwin Navin says that iTunes'
| DRM is "a time bomb waiting to happen," and that it will inspire
| people to pirate content. The irony is that his company is about to
| launch a video store that heavily implements Microsoft?s Windows DRM.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-inc-itunes-drm-inspires-people-to-pirate-content/

MPAA: Frustrated Consumers Will Pirate

,----[ Excerpt ]