Re: Micro$oft Up to Its Dirty Tricks Again

__/ [ Freeride ] on Sunday 25 February 2007 03:47 \__

http://news.com.com/A+software+maker+goes+up+against+Microsoft/2100-1010_3-6161949.html?tag=nefd.top

>>The tactics Microsoft used in the browser battle, of course, led to a
>>host of antitrust troubles for the big software maker in the United
>>States and Europe.
>
>>This time, in the market for virtual-machine software, Microsoft is more
>>restrained. Bowing to customer requests, Microsoft began more than a year
>>ago to change its software licenses so its products could run in virtual
>>machines like VMware offerings.
>
>>But in recent months, according to VMware, Microsoft has introduced new
>>restrictions on how Microsoft products can be used in virtual machines in
>>new ways, beyond simply dividing a single physical computer into several
>>virtual ones.
>
>>This next wave of virtual technology, analysts say, includes software
>>that lets virtual machines move freely across many physical machines,
>>juggling computing chores, so that applications do not crash and Web
>>response times are faster. Another promising new ability is running
>>desktop personal computers as virtual-machine software, hosted and
>>managed securely from a data center.
>
>>VMware, however, points to license changes on Microsoft software that it
>>says limit the ability to move virtual-machine software around data
>>centers to automate the management of computing work. A white paper
>>detailing VMware?s concerns will be posted Monday on its Web site, the
>>company said.
>
>>"Microsoft is looking for any way it can to gain the upper hand," said
>>Diane Greene, the president of VMware.

Microsoft intends to pull a Netscape by prebundling. The restrictions,
however, are sign of real aggression. It's already 'taxing' Mac and Linux
users who want Vista. I hope some sane panel (maybe the EU) will look into
it and actually take action for a change. It's abuse of monopoly power. And
it knows no limits. Any successful (and profitable) piece of software that
resides on Windows will have its makers raped in the rear end by Microsoft.
Apple, I might add, is not much better, but it receives less attention when
it does this.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Partition if an operating $ysteM must be set aside
  4:20am  up 33 days  4:38,  5 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.44, 0.48