[News] 400 Indian Schools May Teach Free Open Source Software

Free & open software training for state students

,----[ Quote ]
| Soon state schools will have teachers who have the necessary training
| to teach the various facets of free and open source software to
| secondary and higher secondary students.
|
| [...]
|
| Computer education teachers from 400 schools are participating
| in the programme.
`----

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=155890

Related:

Open source is key to reaching 500 million Indian children

,----[ Quote ]
| To support more than 650,000 villages and one half billion youths
| who need education, the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
| created a nonprofit organization called Shiksha India in 2001.
|
| [...]
|
| "CII Shiksha has been constantly striving to offer open source solutions at
| different levels, including the operating system (Linux), applications
| (learning management systems and Web portals), and hardware solutions
| (Linux thin-client networks)," says Bhatia. In Shiksha's own offices, open
| source tools are common, with most of the day-to-day work being done on
| computers running Ubuntu and OpenOffice.org.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux is also being used by non-governmental organizations (NGO) and
| educational institutions that have limited technology infrastructure and
| often rely on refurbished or outdated computers. They use educational
| flavors of Linux that provide thin-client connectivity and can run on
| outdated PCs, such as Edubuntu and K12LTSP.
|
| [...]
|
| Bhatia says, "After the creation of our e-learning portal for
| teachers, we feel more confident that we can harness open source
| to benefit other stakeholders in education, including students,
| parents, and institutions."
|
| [...]
|
| Shiksha is dedicated to reaching out to technology-starved rural
| areas in India and helping them become computer-savvy. Open source
| software is one key ingredient in the plan to reach India's nearly
| 500 million youths with technology and education.
`----

http://community.linux.com/community/07/02/20/1730203.shtml?tid=11

Indian Policy Makers Call For Greater Use Of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://in.sys-con.com/read/281396_p.htm