Re: Apple Software Has Kill Switch for Pirates

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 07:47 \__

> larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> You write the article like it's Apple's fault.
>
> It was very clear who had written what, there was no implication that
> this was Apple's fault.
>
>> Though I agree this is
>> a VERY bad move on any maker to affect anything other than the
>> operation of thier softure, it was nost a case of Apple doing it.  And
>> such things already happen regularly on other platofrms (heck I recall
>> cases where there was such logic bombs in Commodore 64 programs).
>
> No, but it does affect you if you have a Mac.  I'm now going to have to
> inform parents-in-law and my No1 son that their computers are vulnerable
> to an attack from proprietary software, which they should avoid if they
> can.
>

>> Someday sone not too bright software maker will produce something
>> similar running on Linux that does the same thing, no real news here,
>> Mac, Linux or otherwise.
>>

> There is very real news here, this exists *now* for Apple Mac computers,
> and should be avoided.  OSX has done well for avoiding exploits and
> vulnerabilities so far, but not, apparently, any more.  Now the software
> vendors /themselves/ are creating malware.
>
> I would say that this is a very strong argument indeed for using Linux,
> and in particular, sticking with a well-known, safe distribution, such
> as Debian or Ubuntu, say, or perhaps Red Hat, where there is *no such
> risk*.

When I read the Inquirer's title, I thought it was Apple. Then, as I read the
item I realised that it wasn't. I then added the word "software" to the
subject line, just before posting it. I think it wasn't enough to remove
ambiguity though, but this wasn't deliberate.

Then, as I saw some potential for ambiguity I added the remark about Open
Source. Also had Skype's spyware in mind... it's still fresh in my mind...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
Tasks: 142 total,   2 running, 136 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie