Re: [News] Vista Contains Rusty Code; Microsoft.com Down

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, OK
<otto@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:54:44 +0100
<p64st25ag9kr5hlfhtt4fiqt12aqsh979c@xxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:37:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Vista Still Has Some *OLD* Code
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| While it is certainly skinned with Vista, this is the same font
>>| dialog that i've been using since '95 or perhaps 3.1.  I love the
>>| Drives dropdown and the Network button.  I wonder how much ancient
>>| code is still in Vista?  Anyone notice others?
>>`----
>>
>>http://adoguy.com/viewrant.aspx?id=2204
>>

>>I read somewhere that microsoft.com fell over. It's back up now. It happened
>>recently as well...
>>
>>"Crashed Microsoft Website"
>>
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/20476704@N00/359868688/
>
> HAHAHAHAA of course, we believe you. I could forge any number of these
> and any number of Linux websites too. Did you use The GIMP?

Actually, a mockup such as that would be easily doable
using little more than a text editor and a web browser.
GIMP might be used to edit the images linked in the webpage
if desired, or the final image after capture for whatever
reason.

[1] Create desired page.
[2] Browse desired page in the browser of your choice.
[3] Carefully type in the website URL you want to claim crashed.
Do NOT hit Enter.
[4] Snapshot.

AFAICT this sort of fluffmummery will have people on all sides tearing
their hair out, since it's so easy to spoof such crashes.

- Those who have a legitimate claim: they've just been majorly
  discredited and will get no satisfaction, because nobody
  will believe them (at least, not without more evidence, such as
  someone in the target IT department reproducing the crash).

- Those who want to fix the websites: they'll not know what
  the problem is as their logs will show nothing, in many
  cases.

- Those who want to play "spoofie".  Hi. :-)

Whom do you trust?

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
for(;;) ;