Re: [News] United Kingdom to Open an Open Source Policy Institute

  • Subject: Re: [News] United Kingdom to Open an Open Source Policy Institute
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:24:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:59:51 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

>>> UK open source policy institute to open next week
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/02/19/221923/uk-open-source-policy-institute-to-open-next-week.htm
>>
>> "IBM, the BBC, and the Cabinet Office are among the organisations
>> supporting the NOC launch."
>>
>> Good.
>>
>> It's about time the BBC did something other than promote Microsoft.
>
> Absolutely! Might start calling it the "British Broadcasting MicroSoft
> Corporation".

Indeed.  The BBC are very large, though, and have a number of people
who are very pro-Open Source.  Keep in mind their ogg trial for radio
streaming, and the Dirac codec for video streaming.  It would appear
that the techy people internally have lost battle with their senior
folks who are being advised by Microsoft and other bodies who just want
to take some of the BBC's money.  That doesn't mean that the war is
lost, far from it, in my view.