Re: Another interesting Dell fact

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 21 February 2007 04:06 \__

> www.dellideastorm.com is running Apache on Fedora Core.
>
> http://media.slated.org/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=0
>
> (I forgot to close a quote on an href url, and ended up sending the
> whole text of the blog as an article request to dellideastorm, hence the
> error.)

Well, that's servers. They sell plenty of these to Google. They have made
attempts to sell Desktop Linux as early as 2000, IIRC. It wasn't lack of
demand that stopped it. It was Microsoft threats. Bear in mind that Dell
have accepted $1-billion kickbacks from Intel, per annum.

Dell's secret Linux fling

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's love affair with Linux is a clandestine affair these days,
| conducted in secret, away from disapproving eyes. But now the pair
| have been spotted in China.
|
| When Michael Dell first saw the web-footed beauty, he fell head over
| heels. Six years ago Dell pledged a series of strategic investments
| in Linux companies, including Eazel and Red Hat. The romance
| attracted the disapproval of Microsoft however, and barely lasted
| weeks. Very quietly, Dell dumped the bird.
|
| It later emerged that Microsoft's OEM enforcer Joachim Kempin had
| promised Steve Ballmer that he'd be putting the screws on PCb
| uilders, or "hitting the OEMs harder" in his words.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

,----[ Quote ]
| The States' remedy hearing opened in DC yesterday, and States attorney
| Steven Kuney produced a devastating memo from Kempin, then in charge of
| Microsoft's OEM business, written after Judge Jackson had ordered his
| break-up of the company. Kempin raises the possibility of threatening
| Dell and other PC builders which promote Linux.
|
| "I'm thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux.
| ... they should do a delicate dance," Kempin wrote to Ballmer, in what is
| sure to be a memorable addition to the phrases ("knife the baby", "cut off
| the air supply") with which Microsoft enriched the English language in the
| first trial. Unlike those two, this is not contested.
|
| [...]
|
| Earlier memos described that it was "untenable" that a key Microsoft
| partner was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed that Dell disbanded its Linux
| business unit in early 2001. Dell quietly pulled Linux from its desktop PCs
| in the summer of 2001, IDG's Ashlee Vance discovered subsequently, six
| months after we heard Michael Dell declare his love of Linux on the desktop
| the previous winter.
|
| Compaq was also mentioned in other memos, with Microsoft taking the line
| that OEMs should "meet demand but not help create demand" for Linux.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

,----[  ]
| A 2002 e-mail exchange filed with an Iowa court during one of the last
| state antitrust suits seems to say so; Redmond defends the thread.
|
| "We should whack them, we should make sure they understand our value,"
| wrote Paul Flessner, a senior vice president in Microsoft's server
| applications unit.
`----

http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Lots of corruption there (at Dell, Intel, and Microsoft). Linux cannot offer
any money exchanges under the table.

--
                ~~ Greetings

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software's days are numbered