Re: [News] CrossOver Linux 6 Released, Runs Windows Applications Under Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] CrossOver Linux 6 Released, Runs Windows Applications Under Linux
  • From: amosf  Tim Fairchild <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:29:34 +1000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ed wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:04:11 +0000
>
>> CodeWeavers Unveils CrossOver Mac, Enabling Mac OS X Users To Run
>> Windows Applications Natively
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | CrossOver Mac mirrors the release of CrossOver Linux 6.0, a new
>> | version of CodeWeavers? Windows-to-Linux compatibility product.
>> | CrossOver Linux is the new name for CrossOver Office, the company's
>> | flagship solution built on Wine, the open source Unix implementation
>> | of the Win32 API.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.codeweavers.com/about/general/press/?id=20070109
>>

>> Earlier:
>>
>> Wine 0.9.29 Released
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | This is release 0.9.29 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows
>> | on Unix.
>> |
>> | What's new in this release:
>> |   - More work on the new Direct3D state management.
>> |   - Debugger support for Mac OS.
>> |   - Many OLE fixes and improvements.
>> |   - Audio input support on Mac OS.
>> |   - Lots of bug fixes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://winehq.com/?announce=0.9.29
>
> why would we want to run windows crap on linux? seems pointless to me.

A lot of good smaller app makers can't really afford the time to port their
apps to all platforms. They provide a niche solution, and something like
crossover is great for running those apps. The main apps I use with
crossover are a dog database (breedmate) and a dog agility course designer.
It's likely there will never be dedicated linux solutions to these, and
little point. There are likely 1000's of similar apps.

Crossover (and cedega) are also very nice as they put often dangerous apps
in their own little safe environment where they can't damage the main OS,
or even other windows apps. They can safely be in their own little virtual
bubble.

Crossover is getting to a point where you might not need both cedega and
crossover, and I think crossover does more for the wine project. But even
so it's not an issue to have both on the PC. HDD space is cheap, and they
be small.