Re: [News] CrossOver Linux 6 Released, Runs Windows Applications Under Linux

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, ed
<ed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:42:21 GMT
<20070110214133.7ca597df@ed-desktop>:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:04:11 +0000
>
>> CodeWeavers Unveils CrossOver Mac, Enabling Mac OS X Users To Run
>> Windows Applications Natively
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | CrossOver Mac mirrors the release of CrossOver Linux 6.0, a new
>> | version of CodeWeavers? Windows-to-Linux compatibility product.
>> | CrossOver Linux is the new name for CrossOver Office, the company's
>> | flagship solution built on Wine, the open source Unix implementation
>> | of the Win32 API.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.codeweavers.com/about/general/press/?id=20070109
>>

>> Earlier:
>>
>> Wine 0.9.29 Released
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | This is release 0.9.29 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows
>> | on Unix.
>> |
>> | What's new in this release:
>> |   - More work on the new Direct3D state management.
>> |   - Debugger support for Mac OS.
>> |   - Many OLE fixes and improvements.
>> |   - Audio input support on Mac OS.
>> |   - Lots of bug fixes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://winehq.com/?announce=0.9.29
>
> why would we want to run windows crap on linux? seems pointless to me.

Depends on the "crap".  I'll admit I'd love to have
every vendor port their application to Linux (or to
POSIX/X/ICCCM, which probably makes more sense) at some
point, but there's a certain inertia in the marketplace;
there's only so many engineering cycles to go around.
The thing that worries me is that WinE has the potential
to make some of said engineers lazy.

And then there's the OpenGL/DirectX dichotomy.  Sigh.
Is DirectX so much better than OpenGL?  I have my doubts.

But there's a fair number of applications -- mostly
accounting stuff -- that can't run on Linux.

(Yet.)

Of course if all one needs is a spreadsheet and a document
writer, OpenOffice or KOffice covers that nicely, and one
can also use Gnumeric for spreadsheets if one doesn't need
all of OpenOffice.

So there's a case for WinE.  It's not that strong a case,
but obviously someone felt a need, and set up a project
to fill it.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
  - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!