Re: Linux embedded in phones

  • Subject: Re: Linux embedded in phones
  • From: Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:48:10 -0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2007-01-10, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Windows, Linux, or Symbian makes no difference.  If that thing works as
>> well as it looks, it will put all other phones to shame.
>
> Palm handhelds have served as excellent MP3 players that use SD cards for
> storage. Some of them, like the Treo, have the 'missing' functionality.

I'll have to check again on my Treo, but I hadn't noticed the album art
display, the fast and easy organization of music, the easy syncing of
music with my computer, etc.  As an MP3 player, the iPhone appears to be
much better than the Treo.

I also don't see anything on my Treo to handle voice mail in the useful
way the iPhone does.  Using calling features, like 3-way calling, looks
a lot more convenient on the iPhone, too.

The photo handling on the Treo is much more awkward, and less capable.

And then there is the internet.  The Treo browser doesn't handle
full-sized pages well, and has poor support for scripting and plug-ins.

After watching the iPhone demos, and comparing to my Treo 650, the only
area it looks like the Treo *might* be better at is text entry.  I find
its little keyboard surprisingly useful.  I say "*might* be better"
because I can't tell from the demos I've seen posted how well the iPhone
text works.