Re: AOL's Linux-based "Smartscreen Media Device" flies in from left field

__/ [ Au79 ] on Wednesday 10 January 2007 05:34 \__

> engadget - Santa Monica,CA,USA
>
> Apparently the player has a Linux-based text interface which is controlled
> by a touch pad, and it also packs a 30GB hard drive, plays MPEG-4 and WMV
> videos, ...

<http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/aols-linux-based-smartscreen-media-device-flies-in-from-left/>

I imagine that the main selling point is that it's open and DRM-free. I still
think it could be associated with the following:

Will Calacanis build a better iPod?

,----[ Quote ]
| "As Dave points out any hint of DRM and the project is over. We
| don't need any VC money to do this Dave. We just produce the best
| player and make 1,000 of them--all presold. The money comes to us
| first and we don't have to put up ANY money. After we get 1,000
| made we do version 2 six months later and produce 10,000 of them.
| If that sells out we do 100,000. We are not doing this for the
| money anyway... if it becomes a 10,000 device a year company and
| we break even I'm fine with that--I just want a better player!"
|
| A DRM-less player, wi-fi enabled and open-source style hackable
| could be the Zune everyone wanted and Microsoft failed to
| deliver. It remains to be seen (and frankly, isn't very likely)
| whether Calacanis will push forward with his new ideas but, the
| fact is he's gotten people talking about the future of portable
| entertainment and that alone is a productive exchange.
`----

http://www.digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/2006/12/01/will-calacanis-build-a-better-ipod/

It may not have the advantage of a PMP that's also a Linux machine that boots
from USB though:

Wizpy Linux based media player

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.iyiz.com/media-devices/wizpy-linux-based-media-player/

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
Tasks: 132 total,   2 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie