Re: [News] Vista is Bad News to Game Developers

__/ [ amosf © Tim Fairchild ] on Tuesday 09 January 2007 23:05 \__

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:59:35 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Opinion: 'Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming'
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12314
>>
>> Whine... Whine... Whine....
>>
>> Whaaaaaah!  "Vista requires users to enter their password to install
>> software!"  "The world is coming to an end!'
>
> But the windows users will complain about this, of course. They will
> looking for some way to bypass all security so they don't have to do this.
> They'll be running as admin, or using some hack. MS has trained them well
> over the years...

Windows Vista Tip: Run as administrator

,----[ Quote ]
| This will make every admin operation prompt you for credentials
| while it is great if you do a lot of remote operations it can
| become tedious if you are performing a lot of local admin operations.
`----

http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/joshs_blog/archive/2006/12/01/windows-vista-tip-run-as-administrator.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/y64c6r

Microsoft: Turn off Vista's UAC to fix problems

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been fairly critical of the new User Access Control (UAC) in
| Windows Vista, as I feel it is too secure to be usable, which will
| probably result in many users and corporations turning off and
| losing out on what could have been Vista?s best feature.
|
| [...]
|
| He recommends turning UAC back on after fixing the problem, but
| when users need to do this more than a couple of times to get a
| usable system, they will just leave it turned off.
`----

http://beta.amanzi.co.nz/2006/11/13/microsoft-turn-off-vistas-uac-to-fix-problems/

'Vista's Account Protection: One Click and It's Gone'

,----[ Quote ]
| One of Vista's big security features is 'User Account Protection'
| (or 'User Account Control') which pops up and asks for user
| authentication before software can make any administrative changes to
| the system. But the TweakVista utility can turn off UAP in one click...
`----

http://securitydot.net/news/exploits/vulnerabilities/articles/2661/news.html

The Truth About User Privileges

,----[ Quote ]
| Has the time finally come for the least-privilege user -- you know,
| setting your Windows client machines to run without system
| administrator rights?
|
| [...]
|
| Today, some Windows applications just won't run properly on a
| desktop without administrative rights. "It's a dirty little
| secret people sweep under the rug because they're not able to
| do much about the problem. A lot of applications and pieces
| of environments won't work if users aren't given admin rights,"
| says Steve Kleynhans, vice president for Gartner's client
| platforms group. "If you can get applications to function
| with lower rights, in a lot of cases it hampers the user
| experience."
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=110225&WT.svl=news1_1

SudoWn brings Unix-like sudo to Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| SudoWn is more versatile than the built-in "Run as..." command. Programs
| are run as the user in question, rather than as another, more highly
| privileged user. The password for the Administrator account can stay
| secret, as the user needs only his own password to use sudoWn.
`----

http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/08/02/168238.shtml?tid=79&tid=138

How to Hack a Window XP Admins Password

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://internetbusinessdaily.net/how-to-hack-a-window-xp-admins-password/

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
roy      pts/4                         Tue Jan  9 06:07 - 06:07  (00:00)